Spatial Data Management System
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need any special software to use SDMS?
Are these all the layers that will ever be in SDMS?
When I maximize the Map Viewer window, the map stays smaller than the Map Canvas. How do I fix that?
What is the best screen resolution for SDMS?
Can I make the map image larger?
- A web browser. SDMS has been tested with Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari, and Chrome web browsers.
- There are known issues with the new Microsoft Edge Browser that we are working to resolve. Until these issues are resolved, please use one of the supported browsers.
- If you wish to view the scanned Survey Plats and Notes or Master Title Plats, you must have the DjVu browser plugin installed. The plugin is available free of charge at: http://www.celartem.com/en/download/djvu.asp
- Popups must be enabled for sdms.ak.blm.gov in order for many features of the site to function properly.
- Are these all the layers that will ever be in SDMS?
- No, SDMS is an evolving product. There are new layers being worked on, and ones not yet thought of. If you have a suggestion for a map layer, share that idea with a programmer through the "Feedback" button in the map viewer, or through the "Questions/Comments" link in the "Contents" column on the SDMS homepage.
- When I maximize the Map Viewer window, the map stays smaller than the Map Canvas. How do I fix that?
- When you first go into the Map Viewer from the SDMS homepage, wait until the map comes completely up before maximizing the window. If you do hit maximize too soon and the map comes up smaller than the Map Canvas window, just hit the "Refresh Map" button.
- What is the best screen resolution for SDMS?
- SDMS has been designed to work with screen resolutions of 1024x768 or higher. Due to the amount of information that must be displayed, use of lower resolutions is not feasible.
- Can I make the map image larger?
- The size of the map image is determined by the size of the browser window and your screen resolution. The minimum recommended resolution for using SDMS is 1024x768 pixels. To obtain the largest possible map image, ensure that your screen resolution is set to the highest supported and maximize your browser window.